January 24, 2011

Medical System FAIL

The other day, I wrote something about my mom, her terminal illness and our family dynamics.  I asked one of my sisters to read it.  She didn't feel good about this record of our mother being on the Internet so,  out of respect for her feelings and a reservation on my own part to be "exposing" my mom, anonymously or not, I have taken the post down.

HOWEVER.

I could write chapters and chapters and chapters on the horrors of the western medical model based on economic theory and not people and wellness, both mental and physical ... on the bizarre concept of expelling a patient (now: client), just saved from the brink of death without so much as a social worker's visit, even though family begs it.  How does that, and the ensuing extreme-measures interventions at re-hospitalisations ... how does the government (in Canada that's who funds the medical system) figures that this system is saving us money?!

Sorry, this is most definitely a semi-coherent rant but ... !!!!!

5 comments:

  1. I don't know the details, but it sounds like you've all been through a grueling time. When you are in dire medical straits, you want to feel like you can put yourself in the care of people who will support you, not turf you to the curb as soon as possible. I hope things get better and your mother improves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks JC. WE don't know the details ... apparently I have them all wrong and I was the one filling in the hospital today ... now I have to go and rectify. Would be upset if it wasn't pretty strangely amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about this struggle, Karen. It can be so hard to separate the business-end of medical paperwork, doctors, information, etc., from the emotional stamina that's necessary in these situations. I wish you and your family all the best. If there is anything I can do to help you.... well, you know. (I am a great babysitter, cook, housekeeper, organizer, taxi-driver, etc.)

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ack! Blogger ate my comment. Try #2:

    I'm sorry you're having a hard time. It's plenty difficult enough to deal with a serious illness in the family without also dealing with a messed up medical system.

    Hang in there, and if it would help, you can always write anonymous posts over at BB2G.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Christine. Thanks Adrienne ... Adrienne, I heard a really important documentary today that might really resonate with you. Check out http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/episode/2011/02/01/oppositional-defiant-disorder/ and http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/episode/2011/02/01/oppositional-defiant-disorder-contd/ ... I'd shrink the urls, but I'm short on sleep ... know what I mean?! I'll post you on it too.

    ReplyDelete