December 15, 2011

Taking their Place, Making a Stand

I just watched this video, made in reaction to an ABC special called Children of the Plains. I am not going to link up to the special, because it is probably a story made by good people, but broadcast by a corporation that wants ratings. I know, a corporation can't want, but in the United States and, I believe in Canada too, corporations have the same rights under the law as individual human beings so I contend that the corporate bot wants the ratings. And I'm not going to give them my eyeballs.

So this video -- More than that... -- is simple, and full of kids who really know how to tell their own story. It filled me with something I haven't been feeling this season. Hope. That's a pretty big gift.

So thank you, guys. I really needed some hope and I found it in your message, posted by a local Indigenous FB page of which I am an ally. Because you prove you are not the one dimensional caricatures of a television "documentary". You are kids, in the middle of a continent currently called North America. And you are part of a future I want to see, raise my children in, and be a part of too. Awesome film!

8 comments:

  1. This was amazing and made me feel pride in the optimism and hope that the younger generation is rocking. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh ya. You could feel it too, eh? It really rocked. =) I know kids like this. They are who give me hope for the future. Now to make things a little more even for all ... hrmm, still thinking on what my part in this is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Thanks for sharing that - an awesome start to my day today. Powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic video! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You just responded to my comment on Elly's post, so I checked you out. I've been to Pine Ridge and I've seen these kids. There's way too much I'd like to say, These kids are real, and they are ours. And I thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you checked me out, welcome. Isn't Elly the greatest place to hang!? Aren't those first few days/weeks/months/year of motherhood a total killer?!

    I'm off and running, for myself for a change. I'll pop by your blog later tonight. Because really?! Who needs sleep, right?

    ReplyDelete